Royster-Lawton Fellowship (annual deadline: January 17th) – Today, more than ever, people want to work for companies that have a social mission. The Royster-Lawton Fellowship wants to help fund your summer internship with the venture of your choice. Internships can be with a for-profit or non-profit, the only requirement is that the organization emphasizes a commitment to purpose. Fellows will receive $3,000 and benefit from coaching, resume and cover letter development as well as professional guidance. Our experienced staff can match you with a social enterprise according to your interests, or you can choose your own. You can find the application HERE.
Who Is Eligible? This opportunity is for undergraduate students, primarily those in their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year, who are interested in learning more about social entrepreneurship through an internship experience. Internships can be local, national, or internationally focused. Internships should last from June to August. SE@UVA staff will provide coaching, advice on how to research internship opportunities in the field, and introductions potential employers, but it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure an internship that meets the guidelines. Still have questions? Come by our office hours to discuss potential opportunities, and how these align with your interests and the requirements of the fellowship.
The Social Enterprise in Dominica Fellowship (applications rolling through January 28) - currently accepting applications for its Spring 2018 fellows. The Fellowship was founded through a partnership between SE@UVA and the UVA Chapter of Net Impact.This is an opportunity for ten students to engage in a semester long social enterprise research project in the Spring semester of 2018. The research will be centered on the sustainable development of a specific industry in Dominica. The fellowship will culminate in a two-week trip to Dominica through Batten's Global Field Experience Course from May 13- 26, 2018 where students will implement their business plan for their project of choice. Each student will be awarded a $1000 scholarship. You may access the application HERE.
New Vinegar Hill Project Fellows - The application process for the New Vinegar Hill Project has closed. If you're interested in volunteering on this research project, please come by our office hours.
The Pay for Success Lab - currently accepting rolling applications for its 2017/18 volunteer Fellow positions. The Fellowship is an excellent opportunity to learn about important policy issue areas, gain familiarity with evidence-based policy and impact investing, and create real change in communities. You may access the application HERE.
Social Entrepreneurship Fellows - The Social Entrepreneurship Fellowship application process has closed for the 2017-2018 year.
- See below for other opportunities, and check back in Fall 2018 for new Fellowships!
- Global internship scholarships can be found here
4. MLK Social innovation challenge
- Join us in celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by calling up the UVA community to find innovative and creative solutions to one of the most vexing social problems of our city: affordable housing. Find out how to get involved in this challenge here.
- The application deadline for the innovation challenge is February 22, 2018.
5. Join an Incubator Program
- Halcyon Incubator - Application Deadline October 17, 5pm EDT
- Global Social Benefit Institute - Application Deadline October 20th
- Echoing Green - Application Deadline October 24th
- Mentor Capital Network - Application Deadline November 6th
- Fledge - Application Deadline January 6th
- Agora Partnerships - Application Open Now
- SeedSpot - Several programs with various application dates
- Uncharted - Various deadline
- Village Capital - Various opportunities
6. Attend a conference
- Clinton Global Initiative U - October 13-15 in Boston, MA
- Ignite Retreat - October 20-22 in Asheville, NC
- IMPACT - March 1-4 in Dayton, OH
- Ashoka U - April 5-7 in Boston, MA
- Ignite Retreat - April 6-8 in Raleigh, NC
- Classy Collaborative - June 12-14 in Boston, MA