Today, more than ever, people want to work for companies that have a social mission.
The Royster-Lawton Fellowship wants to help fund your summer internship with the venture of your choice. Internships can be with a for-profit or non-profit, the only requirement is that the organization emphasizes a commitment to purpose. Fellows will receive $3,000 and benefit from coaching, resume and cover letter development as well as professional guidance. Our experienced staff can match you with a social enterprise according to your interests, or you can choose your own.
Who is eligible?
This opportunity is for undergraduate students, primarily those in their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year, who are interested in learning more about social entrepreneurship through an internship experience.
SE@UVA staff will provide coaching, advice on how to research internship opportunities in the field, and introductions to potential employers, but it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure an internship that meets the guidelines.
- Paid and unpaid internships are both acceptable.
- Positions can be in a non-profit or a for-profit. If you secure an internship with a for-profit, by law, they should pay you, and that is fine. It is up to your internship employer the terms of your contract and pay.
- Internships should last from June to August. (at least 8 weeks).
- Internships can be local, national, or internationally focused.
- If you secure an internship abroad, you must comply with the university policy for international student travel.
- January 17, 2018 – Application Deadline
- Week of January 29, 2018 – Interviews
- February 23, 2018 – Kickoff and career coaching session – meet alumni and get started finding an internship in social enterprise
- February & March – individual coaching and mentoring sessions
- April 13, 2018 – Firm deadline to secure your internship
- April 27, 2018 - Career Coaching and Networking Session
- June through August – monthly check-ins
- August 20, 2018 – Final check-in and 1-page description of your experience
- Fellows will receive $3000 to support their internships in social enterprise.
- All deadlines and requirements must be met in order to receive internship funding.
- Please note that receiving funding packages may impact financial aid offerings. If you are currently receiving financial aid from the university, please reach out to your financial aid officer to see how this may affect you.
Still have questions?
Come by our office hours to discuss potential opportunities, and how these align with your interests and the requirements of the fellowship.